Friday, May 14, 2010

American Jesus

"Take these prophecies and do what the apostle Paul said, and make war with them...this means war! This means war! This means war!"

- Becky Fisher, Pentecostal children's minister.

I think I'm going to vomit. That quote is from the documentary "Jesus Camp," which is about a mid-west youth camp "arming" children to take up "spiritual" arms against serious issues such as our corrupt government, abortion, and Harry Potter. In one scene the children are praying over a cardboard cutout of George Bush calling him anointed, and a holy elect straight from God. It makes me wonder if the kids realize that the "war on terror," has resulted in catastrophic loss of life.

I'm trying to figure out when it became okay to wage war in the name of Jesus. It's weird, when I look at Jesus' words all I see are beautiful messages of love, compassion, and peace. But then again maybe I'm not looking at the same Jesus as these people.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know...Jesus did say he came not to bring peace, but a sword.